Friday, March 15, 2013

Pasta e Fagiole Mash up

I like having 2 or more recipes for the same dish. It allows me to work out a meal when I am winging it a little but don't have all the ingredients I thought I had.

I made pasta e fagiole - a wonderful Italian soup staple dish the other night, but I didn't quite have all the ingredients. No prosciutto and only 4 c of chicken broth, but I did have fennel and escarole. Mmm I love fennel and escarole, well enough said. So I mixed and matched and came up with the following:

1 15 oz can cannellini beans unrinsed
6 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 packet basil (approximately .375 oz)
1 small fennel bulb chopped
1 medium onion chopped
1 small head of escarole
4 c chicken broth
2 c reserved pasta water
1/2 pound pasta (I used shells but ditalini are pretty traditional)
3 Roma tomatoes chopped
Parmesan cheese rind
Olive oil

Saute oil, garlic, fennel, and onions on medium heat until garlic starts to brown. Add beans and saute a little longer. Season with salt and pepper. Go a little heavy on the pepper.
Meanwhile cook pasta, cook slightly underdone.
Add about 1 c of chicken broth and cheese rind.
Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add rest of chicken broth and tomatoes.
Simmer for a couple minutes.
Once pasta is done, reserve 2 c water.
Add pasta, escarole, and basil and add as much water as desired.
Simmer for 5 minutes to let escarole and basil wilt
Serve and garnish with parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper

Version 1 - this is from a restaurant in New York that my family likes. Notice how there are almost no measurements - bastards. ;)

Canned cannellini beans, unrinsed - get everything out of can - do not dillute with water.
¼ c or less olive oil
garlic
chopped onions
chicken broth
pasta, reserved pasta water
basil, chopped
oregano, chopped
prosciutto end
parmesan cheese rind
Saute oil, beans, prosciutto, garlic and onions on medium heat until garlic starts to brown.
Occasionally smash beans with a potato masher or back of spoon.
Meanwhile cook pasta, reserving 2 c water.
Use reserved water and chicken broth to thin base. Add cheese rind, herbs, red pepper and salt.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove cheese rind and serve

Version 2 - I have no idea where this recipe came from - I think my mom gave it to me but I'm not sure. I'm not super excited about the pureed step - I'd rather mash while cooking like the restaurant one above, but it's a solid recipe otherwise.

1 lb dried or 30 oz canned cannellini beans
⅓ c olive oil
2 med-small onions, finely chopped
4-8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Red pepper
1 ½ - 2 c chopped tomatoes, (pureed optional)
6 c chicken broth
salt and pepper
2 bay leaves
1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1 t dried
6 large basil leaves, chopped (pureed with toms optional)
1 small piece of Parmesan rind
1-2 oz prosciutto end
Parmesan for serving
If using dried beans, soak them in 2 quarts of water for 12 to 18 hours.
Change the water 2 times during that time. Drain.
In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil and prosciutto rind over medium heat.
Add the onions and cook for 8 minutes till soft.
Add the garlic and red pepper and cook for 4 minutes.
Add the beans, tomatoes, herbs, broth, salt, pepper, and cheese rind.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes. (30 mins is good for the canned beans)
Meanwhile, cook pasta.
When soup is done, discard the cheese rind, prosciutto, bay leaves, and rosemary.
Transfer 3 c to a food processor/blender and puree.
Return the pureed soup to the pot and heat through.

Serve and add pasta to each bowl. Garnish with additional grated cheese and red pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment