Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Organic Olive Oil

My Dad and I were talking the other day about personal finances, spending and budgets, etc. and he made a good point about bulk purchases. For something like olive oil which I use almost every day, it really doesn't make any sense to buy in quart size amounts. The price per ounce goes up, the smaller the container one buys. So I started looking online to see if I could find larger containers and this is what I found:

Trampetti 5L containers. It is a good tasting medium oil. It cooks nicely and can be used for drizzling. Not as bold as some oils like Frantoia, but provides a quality balanced flavor.

The price is much better compared to any specialty shop to get high quality oil - here's the math:
quantity (oz per container)priceprice per ounceprice per liter
169$98.00$0.58$19.60

Buying Trampetti oil in bulk costs about $19.60/liter. The specialty shops in my area are charging $20.95 to $24.95 for only 12.7 oz! That equals $54 - $63 per liter! I know super market prices are better than that, but they are not getting nearly the same quality of oil.

I just found a website called Truth In Olive Oil, lots of information about olive oil - quality, prices, reviews, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment