Sunday, March 3, 2013

Gluten free pasta - in for a penny, in for almost a pound

Gluten free pasta has come a long way. (My wife is gf or a glutard as she likes to joke which is why I cook so many gluten free items.) But there are some things that are sacred.

Pasta should be sold by the pound. Period. Not 12 oz, not 14 oz, but 16 oz (453 g for any non-Americans)

I grew up in an Italian-American household - I'm third generation Italian-American - and we have eaten a lot of pasta. It always comes in 1 lb containers. (Yes, I know there are a couple of exceptions, aren't there always? But I hope you get my point.)

There are 2 brands of gluten free pasta that I like - tinkyada (tinkyada.com) and ancient harvest quinoa (http://www.quinoa.net/145/163.html). Ancient harvest sells primarily by the half pound which isn't so bad, if the price weren't so exorbitant. And tinkyada, they are all over the place. Some shapes are sold at 16 oz, some at 12 oz, and some at 14 oz. It's extremely annoying. It messed up more than a couple dinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment