Friday, March 1, 2013

Magnalite pans...

Are amazing! Unfortunately they are not sold anymore. I have an old set that my folks bought years ago that are still going strong. I have seen some on eBay - if you get a chance buy them!

On a side note: always set a timer when boiling plastic items to sterilize them because they melt. :[


That's some of the post melt carnage. But the pan will survive with a little patience.



And the pan has been reclaimed. It definitely took some work, but it was worth it. So I boiled a small amount of water in the pan for a just a minute and then scrubbed the dickens out of it. I did that 3 times. After that, I just worked on the pan, scraping out any residue that I could find with a sharp metal spatula. I worked on it for several days, for a few minutes at a time, when I was in the kitchen doing something else. Then finally, once I was satisfied that I had indeed scrapped out all the residue, I made rice in the pan. I did this under the theory that it would help soak up any remaining stuff just like when your phone gets water damage and you put it in rice over night. I did this once with an electronic device and it worked, so I thought why the heck not with the pan. After cooking the rice, and tossing it (I hate throwing out food), I gave the pan a good scrubbing with soap and water and ta da! Here it is. As you can see, it has none of the waxy, glossiness of when the plastic was melted. I even got out a stain that had been in the pan for years.

All clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment