Sunday, January 10, 2016

Loaded Smashed Potato Skillet

Another recipe that I can't remember how I found but I'm glad that I did. This was a hit with my wife who adores potatoes. I must say that I liked it too. I substitute greek yogurt for the sour cream.

Ingredients

5-7 small potatoes
1 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil, divided
1 tsp. kosher (coarse) salt
4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp. Butter
Salt and Pepper
Sour Cream, for garnish
Sliced green onions, for garnish

Instructions

Wash your potatoes, if necessary, and poke a few times with a knife. Place onto a microwave safe plate and microwave until mostly cooked, about 10 minutes. (You can also boil them to this point, if you prefer. Allow to dry before placing in skillet).

Preheat oven to 425° F. Place 1 Tbsp. oil in bottom of skillet and brush a bit up the side. Sprinkle the bottom of the pan with 1 tsp. of kosher salt. Place pre-cooked potatoes into skillet and place in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until very tender. Remove skillet from oven and, using a potato masher, smash each of the potatoes, until quite thin. Place a small pat of butter on top of each potato and season with salt and pepper. Brush the outside of the potatoes with the remain 1/2 Tbsp. of oil. Return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes or so, or until they crisp up. Remove from oven again and top with crumbled bacon and shredded cheese. Return to the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Garnish with dollops of sour cream and sliced green onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment