Monday, April 18, 2016

Goat Cheese with Sumac and Mint

This recipe showed up in an rss feed. I'm not sure I did this correctly and it really didn't taste all that amazeballs. I don't know how to store it and how to let it "steep" so that the cheese absorbs the flavors of the mint and sumac. Every time I put it into the refrigerator it becomes a solid mass of unappetizing congealed oil with dots of mint and sumac powder. It's just odd. I guess I have to leave it on the counter but that seems counter-intuitive and I am not one to get overly concerned about germs. I will eventually try it again and I will remember to just leave the sealed jar out on the counter.

The recipe is approximate and indicative. Use as much mint and sumac as you like the taste of. I find that trying to slice a cold log of goat cheese resulted in crumbles rather than discs. So, let it warm on the counter for at least half hour until it has softened around the outside before slicing. But if you waited too long and it has thawed completely, then wait to firm it up a bit before slicing, so it does not get mushy on you.

8 oz fresh goat's cheese log, softened

3/4 - 1 cup light olive oil (extra virgin)

~ 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, julienned

~ 1 T sumac

Cut the log in to ~ 1 inch discs. In a jar pour some olive oil at the base. Add the first disc in. Sprinkle with sumac and fresh mint. Top with olive oil. Add the next disc. Repeat the process and finish with enough oil to reach the lip of the last cheese slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment