Saturday, February 28, 2015

KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker

I recently was gifted the Ice Cream Maker attachment for my KitchenAid mixer. Well, I have to say that it's pretty darn good. I made vanilla ice cream and it was legit. I mean, really legit. I am making another batch as soon as the first is done with chocolate chips.

There are a couple things to note - KitchenAid recommends that you store the empty Ice Cream Maker bowl in the freezer. If you have a small freezer, it could be annoying. The reason is that the bowl has some amazing magic liquid in the walls of the bowl that must be frozen so that the ingredient mixture can form into ice cream while being stirred by the appliance. I don't want to know what the magic liquid is, but it does work. KitchenAid says that the bowl should sit in the freezer for at least 15 hours priors to making ice cream which is why they recommend storing it in the freezer full time.

The other unexpected part of the process was that prior to mixing, the ingredients are partially cooked and then chilled in the refrigerator overnight. It's not a quick process. If you live in a state where marijuana is legal, I'm sorry to say that no you won't be able to get high and make ice cream when you get the munchies. So plan ahead! ;)

Update June 28th -

I made strawberry ice cream. If you don't crush the strawberries (i.e. if you leave them cut in large pieces), the pieces of strawberry become red ice cubes in the ice cream. I almost broke my blender after thawing out the ice cream enough to then blend it so the strawberries could get crushed up. The ice cream is much better after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment