Monday, June 2, 2014

Falafel

I hate posting recipes that I can't attribute correctly. I apologize to whoever posted this recipe. The flavor was pretty good, but I had trouble with it. The falafel fried up and were pretty good the first day, but the next day when I tried to reheat them, it was like they had a fried "skin" that sloughed off when trying to cut them. Obviously, I did something wrong, but I'm not really sure what. If anyone has any suggestions, please leave a comment. Thank you!

1 15 oz can garbanzo beans
¼ c chopped onion
3 T flour plus more for dredging
2 ½ t salt-free garlic/pepper spice mix
1 t ground cumin
1 t baking powder
½ t salt
2 T packed chopped parsley
oil for frying

Puree beans, onion, flour, garlic/pepper spice mix, cumin, baking powder, and salt until coarse puree forms. Add parsley and process just to blend. Make tablespoon size balls and dredge thoroughly through some flour. Flatten balls slightly.

Pour enough oil into a pan to fill ½ inch deep. Heat to 375 degrees. Fry balls until deep brown, turning once about 3 minutes or so. Drain on paper towels.

Serve with hummus or in pita with other middle eastern fixin’s like baba ganoush, etc.

Makes 18 balls (6 servings 3 balls each), active time: 35 mins, total time: 55 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment