Sunday, January 19, 2014

Healthy Caesar Salad

The recipe comes from Food and Wine contributed by Frank Castronovo and Frank Falcinelli.

I really don't like mayonnaise. In fact, I hate mayonnaise. It's goopy and gloppy and its odd blandness adds nothing of importance to recipes in my opinion. It's also, according to conventional medical information, not very healthy. I admit that I have had fresh-made mayonnaise which is a heck of a lot better than regular sit-in-the-fridge-for-months jarred mayonnaise, but it's still not for me.

So, with that said, when I saw this recipe, I immediately thought, this recipe sounds great, but what can I replace the mayonnaise with? 

I love plain greek yogurt. The flavor is not special, neither is the texture. It's a bit tart/sour to eat by itself. But I love the stuff. I love it because it is a perfect substitute for both sour cream and mayonnaise. 

The one problem with greek yogurt when substituting for mayonnaise is that it has a higher water content and it separates in certain situations. So, you need to add some oil - olive oil of course. 

The recipe says the grated cheese is optional, but it's way better with it.

1/4 cup plain greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise
3 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino, plus thin shavings of pecorino, for serving (optional)
1 anchovy fillet, drained, plus more fillets, for serving (optional)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 small garlic clove, smashed
1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon Tabasco
Freshly ground white pepper
1-2 tablespoons water (depending on how thick you like the dressing)
3 chilled large hearts of romaine (about 1 pound), leaves left whole
Freshly ground black pepper

In a blender, combine the yogurt with the 3 tablespoons of grated pecorino, 1 anchovy, vinegar, garlic, Worcestershire, Tabasco and olive oil. Process until everything is mixed nicely, pretty smooth, and the garlic is finely chopped. Season with white pepper. Use a whisk to finish up while adding water 1 tablespoon at a time to get desired thickness. 

In a large salad bowl, toss the romaine with the dressing and season with black pepper. Garnish with pecorino shavings and anchovy fillets and serve right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment