Thursday, December 26, 2013

Cannellini and Escarole Soup

I love escarole soup. It is comfort food to me. I have always loved it from the first time I ate it. And this is another nice subtle variation on the theme of escarole soup. Grace Parisi contributed it to Food and Wine. Considering that Italians, and really most of Europe, don't understand American bacon, to me this recipe is an American adaptation of an Italian creation. I mean this with respect. Food changes with place and while tradition is important, adaptation is a must for recipes to maintain relevance.

I used only 2 slices of bacon and I thought it worked out great. I know most people like more meat, but I think the bacon works better as something that adds depth rather than being a main feature. Plus, I just like escarole as I hope you know at this point. ;)

4 thick slices of bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
1 small head of escarole, coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves—1 minced, 3 crushed
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Three 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over moderately high heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat and return the saucepan to moderately high heat. Add the escarole, minced garlic and crushed red pepper and season with salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring, until the escarole wilts, about 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, puree half of the beans with the chicken stock until smooth. Add the pureed and whole beans, bacon and 1 1/2 cups of water to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook until the escarole is tender, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook the crushed garlic in the oil over moderate heat until golden; discard the garlic. Drizzle the soup with the garlic oil and sprinkle with the Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment