Saturday, May 11, 2013

Fusili with Tomatoes Al Forno

I cannot find the source of this recipe. I get many recipes from Food and Wine and Bon Appétit but I couldn't find a match. It is similar to a Lidia Bastianich recipe but I am sure I didn't get it from her website. The recipe is also sort of like several others that I found that contain shrimp (but they don't use the breadcrumbs). If anyone finds the original, please let me know. Proper attribution is important.

One thing I have started to do with this recipe is core the tomatoes before stuffing them. I save the cores and add that to the grape tomatoes. I like it this way now much better because the bread crumbs stay in the tomatoes better and I like the way they cook as well. As you can see in the pics the breadcrumbs are nice and low in the tomatoes. If you don't core the tomatoes the breadcrumbs sit on top and have a tendency to spill onto the baking sheet. 

6-8 good sized Roma tomatoes
1 medium red onion
1/2 wicket grape tomatoes halved lengthwise
1 bunch asparagus cut into bite size pieces
1 head of garlic
2 c bread crumbs
1 bunch fresh basil chopped
Several sprigs of fresh oregano chopped
1/4 c capers
1 lb. pasta rotelli or long fusili
Chop capers and mix into bread crumbs with half the basil and all the oregano
Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise and stuff with bread crumb mixture
Cut onion into chunks
Lightly oil the bottom of a baking tray and place tomatoes and onion on it
Drizzle olive oil over the veggies and a small amount of kosher salt
Roast veggies at 375 for about 35 minutes
Meanwhile cook pasta
Sauté asparagus on med-high heat
Add several splashes of red wine and cook for several minutes
Smash and peel garlic, leave whole
Add garlic and grape tomatoes to asparagus
Cook for several more minutes until tomatoes are soft
Toss everything in a bowl with remaining fresh basil and additional olive oil
to taste
Serve and top with cheese and red pepper


Note how the breadcrumbs are low in the tomato

Cores from the Roma tomatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment